Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Club 2012

I love to read.  Really love it.  And I read a lot.  Last year I started to write down all the books I had read in a year, just for fun.  I wrote about it in this post.  This year I read 21 books (which I beat from last year's 19).  This is probably the longest running personal project that I have ever done (I wish I could be as tenacious with exercising!) and it's pretty cool to look back and see what I've read.

In case you can't read my terrible squishy writing, here's a transcription of my 2012 books!

  1. L. Taylor, "Daughter of Smoke and Bone"
  2. J. Walton, "Among Others"
  3. H. Black, "Tithe"
  4. H. Black, "Valiant"
  5. H. Black, "Ironside"
  6. S. Collins, "The Hunger Games"
  7. S. Collins, "Catching Fire"
  8. S. Collins, "Mockingjay"
  9. A. Stolls, "The Ninth Wife"
  10. S. Larsson, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
  11. E. Cline, "Ready Player One"
  12. S. Larsson, "The Girl Who Played with Fire"
  13. S. Larsson, "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"
  14. E.L. James, "Fifty Shades of Grey"
  15. E.L. James, "Fifty Shades Darker"
  16. C. Gibson, "Breathless"
  17. P. Brackston, "The Witch's Daughter"
  18. G.R.R. Martin, "A Dance with Dragons"
  19. J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit"
  20. E.L. James, "Fifty Shades Freed"
  21. S. Pegg, "Nerd Do Well".
Looking back on the whole year, my favorite book was probably "The Hobbit".  I was looking forward to the movie, so reading the book was fun and just made me plain excited.  The biggest surprise hit was "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor.  It was beautifully written, and I've got the second one, "Days of Blood and Starlight" lined up for next year.  "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline was a ton of fun and I would definitely recommend and deserves a re-read through.  "Breathless" by Cole Gibson was sweet and was both my first "mermaid" book and the first novel I read on my beloved Kobo.  And, of course, Simon Pegg's "Nerd Do Well" is always a favorite.

Sadly there are a lot of disappointments on this list too.  You will notice I read the whole "Fifty Shades" trilogy.  Let's be honest, of course I did.  There was so much hype around these books I needed to know what the fuss was about.  I read "The Hunger Games" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series for the same reason.  I enjoyed "The Hunger Games" and to some extent, the "Dragon Tattoo" series, but mostly with "Fifty Shades" and "Dragon Tattoo", I just wanted them to be over.  However, the most disappointing was actually Holly Black's "Tithe", "Valiant" and "Ironside".  Also a trilogy, I was really looking forward to reading them.  Unfortunately, the writing just wasn't good enough and I found myself increasingly frustrated with them.  Oh well, I took a chance.

I'm looking forward to next year's book list, which I have a few newbies to sink my teeth into.  Let's see if I can beat my 21 book record.  No pressure.


1 comment:

  1. Cute picture! I read a whopping zero books... Oh wait, Dragon Tattoo might have been read.... what year is it anyways?.... I think I read the label on a box of diapers :-)

    ReplyDelete